If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We had this salad years ago at the Inn at Little Washington. I loved the contrast of the tart, acid grapefruit against the creaminess of the avocado. The pistachio adds some texture. This is the version that I developed to make at home. —Margy@hidethecheese
- 3 tablespoons raw pistachios
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 1 perfectly ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- salt to taste
- Toast the pistachios in a skillet over medium heat until they are fragrant and just begin to deepen in color, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let them cool for a couple of minutes.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of the pistachios into a mortar and pestle and crush them until they are small but not completely pulverized. Pour them into a small bowl, add the olive oil, and whisk. Set aside.
- Section the grapefruit with a serrated knife by first cutting off the top and bottom. Continue to remove the remaining peel by cutting from top to bottom around the entire grapefruit. Next, remove each section of flesh by cutting along each side of the membranes that separate the sections. Remove the sections and arrange them on a platter, leaving a space in between each piece.
- Cut the avocado in half and separate the two halves. Remove the peel with your hands. Slice the avocado the long way into slices (I leave the seed in while I do this) and arrange the slices between the grapefruit sections.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the grapefruit and avocado and then sprinkle the toasted pistachios on top.
- Add the vinegar to the olive oil-pistachio mixture along with a pinch of salt and whisk until it emulsifies. Spoon the dressing over the salad. Serve and eat!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
Raise the Bar
Stocking a bar cart's simple when you have a strategy
Raise the bar (cart).
The dreamiest foods around.
Here are your Community Picks!
A can-do tool.