If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the most recent issue of Food & Wine I saw a recipe for charred sweet onions and peaches, and I thought, "Hey! I bet that would be good with avocados!" So I decided to give it a try. Except, in the process I wound up changing the dressing, and a bunch of the cooking technique, and wound up with something a bit different and extremely delicious. Although at first I was going to grill the avocado and bacon as well, in the end I decided I liked the flavors better with them raw and fried respectively. This salad - if you can quite call it that - tastes seriously of summer! - fiveandspice
Food52 Review: I whipped up fiveandspice’s green goddess-like dressing using my freshly made creme fraiche, as recommended here, and I will be slathering this dressing on all sorts of things this summer. You should too. The kids voted with their stomachs, and I’ll report both went back for seconds. Using a sweet onion is key. The grill times for the peaches and onion are right on and this results in a crunchy onion, which it needs to be as a contrast to the creamy peaches and avocado. I might add some more herbs to the actual salad mix and not just the dressing. I did not use all of the dressing; rather about 2/3 of it. All in all it was a hit here. - Summer of Eggplant
Creamy herb dressing
- 2 tablespoons Creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Mayo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- sea salt
Avocado and peach salad
- 4-5 slices of thick center cut bacon
- 1 large sweet onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla Sweet
- 3 small-medium peaches, ripe but not crazy soft
- 2 ripe avocados
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl adding salt to taste. Refrigerate until you're ready to use.
- Fry your bacon slices until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel line plate to drain. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Peel and slice the onion into 1-inch thick slices. Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits. Brush the onion slices and peach halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the onion slices and peaches over high heat until they are lightly charred and blistered on the outside and getting pretty tender. The onions should take about 10-12 minutes, the peaches about 5-7. Be sure to turn everything halfway through the cooking process to get them cooked on both sides.
- Slice the peaches into 1/2 inch thick slices. Peel, pit, and thinly slice the avocados. Break apart the onion slices into their individual rings. Arrange everything together, mixed, on a big serving platter. Sprinkle with the bacon, then drizzle with the dressing.
- Serve, passing any remaining dressing alongside.
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!