If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Happy Father’s day! It’s June gloom month in LA, when the cool ocean fog blankets even the warm interior valleys from the sun until well after noon. A perfect time for a Cali(fornia) BLT created for Dads and males in general, a sturdy, highly seasoned sandwich, a little gem from LA.
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 slices applewood smoked bacon, cooked crisp
- 8 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces Monterey jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 medium ripe beefsteak tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-2 Haas avocados, pitted, sliced crosswise
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Garlic Powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch finishing salt, such as Maldon
- To make the the garlic oil, heat the the oil, garlic slices, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over a medium low heat until the oil is hot and the garlic is fragrant. Remove from pan and place in a small bowl. Prepare the mise en place prior to making the sandwiches, having all the ingredients prepped before you begin to cook the sandwiches.
- Heat the broiler to medium. Open the pairs of slices of sourdough bread and working on the outside crust of each sandwich, brush the tops with the garlic oil and parmesan cheese, pressing gently to adhere the cheese. Place the bread slices on a foil lined baking sheet and broil under a medium-hot broiler until the crusts are crisp and brown (even better grilled on the BBQ). Remove from the broiler, turn the slices over to prepare the inside layers of the sandwich.
- For each sandwich, cover one slice with the thinly sliced Monterey jack cheese and sprinkle lightly with the Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Garlic Powder (just tastes better with this step). On the other half, layer the beefsteak tomatoes with a grind of freshly ground pepper. Return bread slices to the broiler, cooking until the cheese is bubbly brown and the tomatoes have softened.
- Remove from the broiler and immediately assemble the sandwiches. Place two strips of crisp cooked bacon on the cheese half, top with the avocado slices, lettuce leaves, and cover the with broiled tomato half to complete each sandwich. Serve with condiments of your choice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
Stress-Eat These Snacks
They're "True Detective" marathon approved
Stress-eat snacks for "True Detective."
Lemon bar cheesecake takes the cake.
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.