If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The first summer after my husband and I met, I made my first trek to the East End of Long Island where he spent his summers growing up, and had my first bite of a lobster roll. The sweet simplicity was a revelation. I look forward to one each time we visit our family. Lobsters certainly aren't local here in Maryland, but sweet blue crab is abundant this year. So I based this dish on my favorite parts of a lobster roll, with the avocado playing up the richness of the dish in a way that helps humble crab be a bit more exotic. We can't get the classic top split hot dog buns here - so I trim off the crusts from regular buns and toast the sides in butter. If I were at the Clam Bar in Amagansett - I'd have a Red Stripe with my lobster roll. I think it makes a nice pairing here too. This recipe makes more than enough avocado mayo for 2 rolls - so use the extra for a tasty BLT or more rolls! I had 2 people to serve and 1 avocado that was perfectly ripe so I made this for 2. Easily scales upwards. - meganvt01
Food52 Review: WHO: meganvt01 is an attorney in Annapolis who loves to cook with local seafood and produce whenever possible.
WHAT: A butter-toasted roll bursting with crab and bound by avocado mayonnaise.
HOW: Like the best seafood rolls, less is more here: just puree the mayo, chop the vegetables, and fold it all together. Don't skip the butter lettuce during assembly!
WHY WE LOVE IT: We admire meganvt01's scrappiness -- when you move and lobster stops being local, just sub in the local seafood! - A&M
Makes 2 rolls
- 1/2 ripe hass avocado - rough chop
- 1/3 cup good quality mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Avocado crab rolls
- 1 cup crab meat - I used blue crab but use your best quality local or available crab (or even lobster if you had too :))
- 1/2 ripe hass avocado - chopped
- 2 tablespoons red pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons celery, ribs removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 hot dog buns (top split preferred - if not, trim the side crust off to leave a flat space for toasting)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3-4 leaves buttercrunch (butter) lettuce - optional
- Old Bay seasoning
- In a bowl, gently combine the crab, red pepper, and celery. Add spoonfuls of the avocado mayo to adjust the moistness to your liking. For my two rolls, I used approximately 3 tablespoons of the avo mayo.
- Fold in the avocado gently. Taste for seasoning.
- Assembly - OPTIONAL to use the buttercrisp lettuce - I like the crunch on mine - my husband and son prefer to leave the "salad" out of their roll. Its up to you. Layer (or not) a few leaves of lettuce in the bun. Heap on the crab salad. Sprinkle with Old Bay and top with chives.
- Your Best Avocados Contest Winner!