Author Notes: I used to eat a version of this salad at my favorite local deli while growing up. It tasted complex but the ingredients were so simple. Nowadays, with my spin on the recipe, I often enjoy the salad as a side to any sandwich or on its own when trying to "detox" from a heavy meal. Refreshing, full of flavor and simple: what's not to love? - Katie
Serves 3-4 (easily adapted to serve more)
- 1 Grapefruit, any variety
- 2 Valencia Oranges
- 1 Small Red Onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 Haas Avocado, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- Peel and slice oranges and grapefruit into individual sections. Add to bowl along with sliced red onion and avocado strips.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together: orange juice, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil to create an emulsion.
- Pour vinaigrette over the fruit and avocado mixture, toss gently in order to keep avocado intact. Top with cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados