If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We love how the rich creaminess of avocado matches with the sweetness of crab meat. Fresh chives and tarragon from our garden gives the filling an herby balance. Frying the wonton brings crisp texture to the soft filling. We know that some acidity is necessary to bring out these flavors, so there's a dipping sauce made from sour cream, tomato and sweetened lime juice. —ChrisandAmy
Makes 50 wontons
For the wontons:
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces crab meat, picked through for shells
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- peanut oil, enough for frying
- After dicing the avocado, sprinkle it with lemon juice to avoid browning.
- In a large bowl, combine the avocado, herbs, salt and white pepper. Fold in the crab meat and mix well.
- One by one, lay out a wonton wrapper and place a teaspoon of the mixture in the center.
- Brush the edges of the wrapper with water and fold into desired shape.
- Cover with a damp dishcloth to avoid drying.
- To fry the wontons, fill a deep skillet with peanut oil, enough to cover the wontons when they are put in.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat for several minutes.
- Deep fry in batches of five or six until they become golden brown.
- Remove with a mesh frying skimmer and set aside on paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Serve the hot wontons with the cool dipping sauce (recipe below).
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tablespoon sweetened lime juice
- salt, to taste
- Chop the tomato in a food processor.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato and tomato juices with the sour cream.
- Add the sweetened lime juice and salt to taste.
- Set aside in refrigerator to chill.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.