If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tonight was my first night cooking in my small kitchen in NYC. I only moved in two days ago so I wanted to make something simple but wholesome. I served it (ha! does it count as serving if it is just for oneself?) over mixed greens. It is a balanced vegetarian meal with whole grains, protein, and colorful vegetables. I only added a pinch of the spices and let the carrots speak for themselves. - young&fabulous
Serves 1 with leftovers
- 1/2 cup freekeh (pearled barley, farro, or wheatberries would probably work too)
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 large leaves curly kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- pinches red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- splashes fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted cashews, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dreid cherries, chopped in half
- Cook the freekah and lentils, in 2 separate pots, according to package. lentils should take about half the time of the freekah.
- In the meantime, mince garlic and slice carrots and kale, leaving the veggies separate because they are to be added at different times.
- Heat olive oil on medium high and then add garlic. stir and lower the heat before it browns.
- Add carrot slices to softened garlic, followed by cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. sautee on medium until carrots start to get dark around edges. Spritz with lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Add kale and stir the veggies, off of the heat.
- If the lentils are done (aprox. 25 minutes), drain them and add to veggies. Add chopped dried fruits and nuts.
- Drain the freekah when it is done and add to the pan with everything.
Your Favorite Items for a Wedding Registry
Wedding season approaches.
Wedding registry must haves.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wildcard Winner Recap
Do you haiku?