If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I really love avocados but they weren't a Japanese food until about a decade ago (reverse-constructed CA Sushi-Roll?). I missed their wonderful flavor and my husband can eat only so much guacamole, so I started blending it into other more traditional dishes. This delicious breakfast dish of avocado/jalapeños teamed up with shrimp/tofu is my own version of fast West-Meets-East with a little European Balsamic thrown in. - BoulderGalinTokyo
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seed removed
- 1 tomato
- 200 grams small shrimp (less than 1/2 lb.), deveined
- 2-3 pickled jalapeños
- 1 or 2 cartons silken tofu* (depending on whether side or main dish)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Dice avocado in 1/4 inch cubes, some pieces will be a little longer, that's OK. Dice tomato in 1/4 inch cubes. Immediately stir into avocado. (You can add lemon juice if you must, but the tomato acid will prevent the avocado from changing color.) Mince the jalapeños (wear thin surgical gloves if you are very sensitive. Be sure to wash hands completely, and under fingernails).
- Cook the shrimp in microwave (fastest) or poach. Peel shrimp and cut in half-inch pieces if large.
- Add balsamic vinegar to avocados. Add shrimp.
- Heat tofu in microwave if you want. Straight out of the pack is fine. Cut tofu in half, if needed. Spoon avocado mixture on top of tofu.
- FOR DINNER: Add 2 tablespoons of minced onion and some cumin powder to avocados. Top with freshly ground black pepper. OR Add onion and chiffonade of 4 shiso leaves.
- NOTE: I do low-sodium cooking, so the salt in the pickled jalapenos is enough for us, add salt if you like. Soy sauce is OK but will make a runny dark sauce. If not sweet enough, add a little honey or agave.
- TOFU NOTE* I prefer Morinaga Brand. It will probably be in the dry goods, Asian section, not refrigerated.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
Express your gratitude for sunshine.
Good day, sunshine.
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
12 Recipes for a Stress-Free Week of Cooking