If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have just discovered rye berries and am loving their chewy texture and nutty flavor. Adding creamy avocados and fresh apricots to them is quite delicious. Maple syrup brings a hint of sweetness, pistachios add a bit of crunch and mint and lime brighten it up. This makes a lovely light lunch or side dish for a barbecue. You could even add a dollop of yogurt for breakfast! - BlueKaleRoad
Food52 Review: If you've ever eaten cracker jack, you know the thrill of encountering those delicious peanuts in the sea of popcorn filler. This beautiful salad is so packed with those (figurative) peanuts that eating it is a real joy. You will thrill at each bite of avocado and apricot, morsels which are further enlivened by hits of mint, pistachio, and a truly fantastic maple-lime dressing. But the rye berry-filler is fun too -- nutty and pleasantly chewy grains that reminded me of a cross between barley and farro -- and they're so cheap! One important note is that my rye berries took almost an hour to cook, more than double what the recipe says. Thanks to BlueKaleRoad for a new mainstay in my summer salad repertoire! - arielleclementine
- 1 cup rye berries
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 3 apricots, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- Combine the rye berries, water and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat. Simmer for about 25 minutes, until rye berries are soft. Drain any remaining water and set aside to cool (can be made ahead).
- Whisk together the syrup, olive oil, lime juices and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Spoon the rye berries into a serving bowl. Add the avocados, apricots, mint and pistachios and toss gently. Drizzle the dressing over and stir gently. Serve immediately.
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!