Author Notes: Well shoot, I missed the contest deadline by 2 1/2 hours. Drat. Oh well - I thought I'd share this soup anyway. Someday, if I ever write a cookbook, and I do NOT have any plans at present, it will be on soup. Too narrow? I respectfully disagree. Too seasonal? No way. Whenever I want to lose weight, which is increasingly often, or just too busy to plan a big meal, which is always, I make soup. We're presently in the middle of packing up our house, and catching up on MUCH more deferred maintenance than I ever thought we had, in preparation of putting it on the market. By the time I get to 6pm, I barely have enough energy to raise a wine glass to my lips unassisted. Planning a lovely little dinner is honestly not going to happen. Besides eating out, soup is the perfect answer. This soup is similar to one of my favorite green salsas I make, and can be paired with a salad for lunch, or with some skewers of spicy shrimp for a healthy dinner. - TheWimpyVegetarian
Makes 4 cups of soup
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 1 Anaheim chile
- 1 white onion, finely chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 2 avocados, separated
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 tsp fresh, chopped oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 7-8 twists freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon crème fraiche
- 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Line a saute pan with foil and place it over medium heat. Husk and wash the tomatillos and place them in the pan to roast. Add the Anaheim chile. Using tongs, continue to turn them to brown them on different sides until they start to soften, about 15 minutes. The tomatillos should have brown spots on several sides and be a little soft; the chile should be browned and fairly soft. Remove and let cool enough to handle. Core the tomatillos and place in the bowl of a food processor. Core and seed the chile, and place it in the same bowl.
- Add one of the avocados and all of the rest of the ingredients to the same bowl and process until fairly smooth.
- Chill for 2 hours. To serve, cut the other avocado into cubes and add it to the soup.