If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last October I decided to plant some herbs at home but didn't know their behaviour. Now, that the mint has spread so much it's just inches from covering bedroom and living room, everyone tells me - oh yes, didn't you know that mint does spread! Where were these people before?
Well never mind, Food52 gave me a great sense of pride in my mint and so I'll post several recipes!
Mast-o-Keeyar is a Persian yoghurt sauce eaten mainly with flat bread. I have tried a few versions mainly because I sometimes use things I have in the kitchen. My last rendition - the addition of green apple.
Use this dip with flat bread, vegies or on a bruschetta! —Babette Feast
- 1 1/2 cups plain full fat yoghurt - strained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 small cucumbers
- 1 green apple, skin on and cut in very small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 cup sultanas, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill - chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lebanese Za'tar
- 1 teaspoon Sumac
- Salt & black pepper
- dry rose petals for garnish
- Remove seeds of cucumber and shred. Put in a colander with a little salt to drain excess water.
- Drain the yoghurt in a colander lined with cheesecloth for 1 or 2 hours or from the evening to the morning (if you remeber).
- Chop herbs (good knife avoiding to bruise the herbs) Roast and chop walnuts; Chop sultanas Mince the garlic.
- In a bowl combine yoghurt, sour cream, drained cucumber, garlic, sultanas, walnuts, mint, dill, sumac, zatar. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir.
- Finally dice the apple and add to the yoghurt mixture - I left the skin on mine just to look nicer!)
- Cover and put in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.
- When ready to serve garnish with rose petals and a pinch or two of sumac.
- Serve with flat bread or as a dip with vegetables!
- If you serve veggies, cut them up and put in a bowl with water and ice - they go really crunchy and kind of curl and look very cute!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.