Author Notes: You might ask, 'Do we really need a recipe for mint tea?', and I would answer, 'Oh yes we do' because once you get this right, you are guaranteed a lifetime of friendships and love. Ask me,i should know.....for mint tea is the most requested drink recipe in my house, across the age spectrum, and from both family members and friends! I learnt it from Moroccan friends in Holland, after years of making what I thought was great tea. Their version set me on the 'straight and narrow'.
The only difference is that I lack the skill of pouring said tea from great heights (risking scalding hands...) into slim, small glasses.... and so am not able to replicate the frothy head you get in Morocco. Nevertheless, the flavours are spot on...and will make a star of you. Just try it. - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes a regular-sized teapot
- 3 - 6 whole cloves (or cardamom pods or whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed)
- A full hand of fresh mint leaves and stems, washed
- 1 heaped teaspoon Chinese gunpowder tea, or 1 green teabag
- White, caster sugar
- Optional, pinch of salt
- Freshly boiled hot water
- To warm the teapot, swirl a small amount of hot water in the pot, and then discard.
- If using the Chinese gun powder tea pellets, put the pellets in the tea pot and pour some hot water over it. Swirl round to 'rinse' the leaves, and discard the water. If using a teabag, follow the next step.
- For both methods (pellets or teabag), add the cloves, or other spices depending on what you are using; and 1 - 2 teaspoons of sugar. Adding the sugar to the brew draws out the nuances....I believe!
- Gently bruise the mint leaves and stems by rubbing between your palms then add that to the pot. If you like you can add a pinch of salt to the pot at this stage, it enhances the sweetness as well as subtly enhances the aniseed, clove flavours.
- Top with boiling water and leave to brew for at least five minutes before serving.
- Pour into dainty tea cups or glasses, with more sugar on the side...nibble on some soft, almond cookies and find yourself in the heart of Morocco, right in your corner of the world!