If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love slow cooked pulled pork, and it's quite simple to make in a crockpot. Sometimes I make it with bottled barbeque sauce, but this recipe features a less sweet, tangier sauce based on apple cider. If you don't have hard cider on hand, use an additional 12 oz. of regular sweet cider instead. Get the recipe started in the morning and it will be ready in all its glory by the evening, though it's even better reheated on the next and subsequent days. —WinnieAb
- 1 1/2 cups sweet apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups hard apple cider
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 pounds pork shoulder, preferably organic and trimmed of fat (I find it easier to remove the layer of fat once it's cooked before you shred it, but you can remove it before you add it to the crock pot, if you like)
- In a large bowl, mix together both ciders, ketchup, brown sugar, cumin, paprika, garlic power and hot sauce.
- Place half of the onions in the bottom of a 4 1/2- to 6-quart crockpot/slow cooker.
- Put the pork shoulder on top of the onions and pour the sauce over the pork. Top with the rest of the onions.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook pork mixture on high for 4 hours (or on low for 8 hours), or until pork is very tender.
- With tongs, transfer pork to large bowl. Turn crockpot to high, cover, and heat sauce to boiling to thicken and reduce slightly (alternatively, this can be done in a pan on the stove).
- While sauce boils, use 2 forks to pull pork into shreds. Return shredded pork to crockpot with the sauce and allow to cook for an additional 30 minutes on the high setting.
- Serve pulled pork with or without sandwich buns; delicious with cole slaw and/or cranberry chutney!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pork with Cider
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.