Author Notes: When the mercury rises, I turn to my slow cooker. The trick to getting effective results when cooking a curry in a slow cooker is a little bit of supervision rather than a fix and forget approach. This recipe is comforting and a crowd pleaser, tell me what you thing once you have given it a shot. This is a catch all recipe and I sometime add basil with the cilantro to keep it interesting. - Rinku Bhattacharya
Food52 Review: Creativecooks’ dish is a study of delicious anticipation. Each component adds another layer of flavor and drool-inspiring aroma to the kitchen as you prepare it. First off – onion, ginger, garlic and warm spices all get cozy and toasty together. That alone could be mixed with rice and lentils and made into a meal (think mujadarra). Then, it bubbles away in the slow cooker while you work on the other components. Next you prepare the cashew cream – make extra because you will be eating a few spoonfuls as – ahem – testers. It’s amazing. That and the chicken go into your cauldron of goodness while you work on the herbs. Finally, a smart finish to the dish – turn off the heat and stir in the herb paste – this keeps it bright and fresh, adding the final perfect note to the creamy stew. - aargersi
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste
- 4 pods garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 3/4 cups loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 large lime, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 green chiles, coarsely chopped
- In a large non-stick skillet or pan heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute. Add in the onions and sauté well for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions soften, wilt and begin the turn golden at the edges.
- Add in the ginger paste and the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the cumin and coriander powders and mix well.
- Place the entire mixture in a slow cooker, add in the salt, sugar and the tomato and turn the setting on a high.
- Let this cook undisturbed for 1 hour on high and add in the chicken and cook for another 45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbly and cooking briskly.
- Place the sour cream and cashews in a blender and grind until smooth. Then, stir into the chicken and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the mint in a blender, squeeze in the lime juice and add the cilantro and green chilies and grind to a paste.
- At this point, the chicken should be soft and the gravy should be a light creamy texture.
- Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the herb sauce and mix well. Let rest for 20 minutes before serving.