If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When the mercury rises, I turn to my slow cooker. The trick to getting effective results when cooking a curry in a slow cooker is a little bit of supervision rather than a fix and forget approach. This recipe is comforting and a crowd pleaser, tell me what you thing once you have given it a shot. This is a catch all recipe and I sometime add basil with the cilantro to keep it interesting. —Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
Food52 Review: Creativecooks’ dish is a study of delicious anticipation. Each component adds another layer of flavor and drool-inspiring aroma to the kitchen as you prepare it. First off – onion, ginger, garlic and warm spices all get cozy and toasty together. That alone could be mixed with rice and lentils and made into a meal (think mujadarra). Then, it bubbles away in the slow cooker while you work on the other components. Next you prepare the cashew cream – make extra because you will be eating a few spoonfuls as – ahem – testers. It’s amazing. That and the chicken go into your cauldron of goodness while you work on the herbs. Finally, a smart finish to the dish – turn off the heat and stir in the herb paste – this keeps it bright and fresh, adding the final perfect note to the creamy stew. —aargersi
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste
- 4 pods garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 3/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 large lime, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 green chiles, coarsely chopped
- In a large non-stick skillet or pan heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute. Add in the onions and sauté well for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions soften, wilt and begin the turn golden at the edges.
- Add in the ginger paste and the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the cumin and coriander powders and mix well.
- Place the entire mixture in a slow cooker, add in the salt, sugar and the tomato and turn the setting on a high.
- Let this cook undisturbed for 1 hour on high and add in the chicken and cook for another 45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbly and cooking briskly.
- Place the sour cream and cashews in a blender and grind until smooth. Then, stir into the chicken and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the mint in a blender, squeeze in the lime juice and add the cilantro and green chilies and grind to a paste.
- At this point, the chicken should be soft and the gravy should be a light creamy texture.
- Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the herb sauce and mix well. Let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
Have a ball (jar).