Author Notes: Broccoli is great with pasta, so why not cauliflower? this is a dish I've been eating a lot of lately as the cauliflower has been beautiful. - sweet enough
- 1 large head cauliflower, florets removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and cut in half
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- fresh parmesan cheese for grating (about 1/3 of a cup)
- 1 pound dry spaghetti
- salt and pepper
- Fill a large pot with water, salt well, and bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, place the olive oil, garlic, pepper flakes and cauliflower and a large saute pan over medium high heat. Cook for a few minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn. Salt and pepper the cauliflower to taste, lower the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes. The cauliflower should start to brown and soften. add the pine nuts and remove from heat.
- When the pasta water comes to a full boil, add the spaghetti and cook according to the package instructions. Drain pasta and put it directly in the cauliflower pan. Toss gently and place in a warm serving bowl. Sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs and cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner