Author Notes: This is a dish I cook regularly at home for my vegetarian parents- it pairs the classic flavour combination of pea and mint with the sweet earthiness of oven roasted tomatoes. I find a risotto is always a good way of showing off your culinary abilities too! Also, if cooking this dish for vegans, make sure the wine you use is vegan certified- otherwise they may have used animal products in the processing! - Chef_Mel
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups Risotto rice
- 1 1/2 cup white wine
- 6-7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Large bunch Fresh Mint, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 4 Large tomatoes, halved
- A couple pinches Salt, pepper and sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven to 160C. Place the halved tomatoes cut side up with the olive oil and seasoning on top, and put in the oven. Keep an eye on them whilst you are making the risotto, they take around 20-30 minutes to cook.
- Meanwhile, Sautee the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large sauteeing pan for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add risotto rice, and stir to coat for about 1 minute. Add white wine and cook for a further 4 minutes. Gradually add the stock and continuously stir for 10-15 minutes, or until the risotto is thick and the rice is “al dente”.
- Meanwhile, put half the peas into a bowl and pour some boiling water over them (just until they go soft). Drain and then puree until fairly smooth in a food processor/blender. Set aside.
- About 5 minutes towards the end of the cooking time, add the pureed peas, the other frozen peas, fresh mint, and stir in. Once the risotto is ready, serve with the hot roasted tomatoes on top, and some extra mint leaves for garnish!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint