If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently received an ebelskiver pan as a gift and have been experimenting with different versions of the fluffy Danish pancakes. This recipe has a creamy lemon mascarpone filling that I like to serve topped with a warm blueberry thyme compote. If you want to make the real deal, ebelskiver pans are readily available at most kitchen stores and are inexpensive. However, if you don't want to purchase the pan, you can make a stack of traditional pancakes and spread the lemony filling between them. —Sonali aka the Foodie Physician
Blueberry Thyme Compote
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh, chopped thyme
- 2 cups all purpose-flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest, divided use
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- To make the blueberry thyme compote, heat the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and thyme in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Cook until blueberries burst and release their juices, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the ebelskiver batter, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, and 1 teaspoon lemon zest together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and buttermilk together. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold them into the batter.
- To make the lemon mascarpone filling, mix the mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, 3 teaspoons lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon sugar together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the ebelskiver pan over medium heat. Brush each of the wells with melted butter. Fill each well about halfway with the batter. Gently place a small dollop (approximately ¾ teaspoon) of the lemon mascarpone filling in the center of each pancake, and top with more batter to cover the filling. Cook until bubbles start to form around the edges of the pancakes and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip the pancakes over with the ebelskiver wooden flipping sticks or two teaspoons, and cook on the second side until golden brown. Remove and plate. Serve ebelskivers with blueberry thyme compote.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.