If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A take on colcannon but dairy free. The avocado lends the creaminess. I love the combination of avocado and soy sauce so use soy sauce to lend the savoury/salty note instead of salt. Miso would make a nice substitute for soy sauce as well. - happymontycooks
- 1/2 sweet potato (or 1 red potato or 1 Yukon Gold)
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Minced ginger (optional)
- Diced jalapeno (optional)
- 1 carrot, cut into matchstick strips
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce (to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 bunch kale or collards (or any greens)
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- Cut potato into cubes. Place in a pot and add enough water to cover by two inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the pot has boiled for about 1 minute, reduce heat and gently simmer until potato is fork tender-- about 10-15 minutes. Drain and let the potato cool in a bowl.
- Place onions in a dutch oven or large sauce pan with a few tablespoons of water. Heat over medium high heat, stirring frequently until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add garlic, ginger (if using) and minced jalapenos (if using) with another tablespoon of water. Sautee until fragrant.
- Add carrot and greens along with 1/4 cup of water. Sautee until the greens have wilted to desired liking.
- Remove from heat. Add soy sauce and black pepper to taste. Stir to incorporate the flavours.
- Dump the greens mixture into the bowl with the potato. Add the diced avocado. Roughly mash the mixture all together, mixing and stirring to incorporate all the ingredients. Add more soy sauce and black pepper if needed.
- Optional: Add cooked beans at the end to make a more substantial meal.
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.