If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my family, there's no better--or worse--holiday than Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement in Judaism). While most holidays involve all-day feasting, Yom Kippur calls for all-day fasting. It's not the most fun afternoon, but as soon as the sun sets, a bagel and smoked fish smorgasbord ensues. Yum. White fish, smoked salmon, cream cheese, sliced tomato and onion. And, of course, Lox, Egg, and Onion (a.k.a., LEO) Salad. It's a traditional Jewish spread and my favorite thing to put on a bagel. Here, I replace the lox with smoked trout, which is a bit sturdier, and I think holds up better in the mayonnaise-based salad. The fish adds saltiness, and the onions, sweetness and crunch. Topped on a warm bagel with a smear of cream cheese, some lettuce, and a slice of juicy tomato? I call it "STEO," and it's my new favorite sandwich. - Dourmet
- 7 large eggs
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces smoked trout, chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
- 4 bagels, halved and toasted
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1 bunch butter lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by an inch or so. Place saucepan on stove over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from the stove, and cover for 13 minutes. Rinse eggs under cold water, peel, and chop. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add onion and smoked trout to eggs. Fold in mayonnaise until well-mixed. Season with pepper to taste.
- Spread a bit of cream cheese on a bagel half. Top with a couple lettuce leaves, 1/4 cup STEO salad, and slice of tomato. Repeat with remaining bagel halves. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
Shop Spring Cleaning
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Simple, Springy Leek Soup