If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not far from my house is a wonderful juice bar at which I treat myself on occasion. One of my favorite drinks is their orange lassi, a vegan, almond-milk based concoction that also includes orange, coconut, cinnamon and cardamom.
Yesterday, my oldest son and I picked up some super-sweet, fresh carrots from a local farmers market. On our way home, it occurred to me that they might be absolutely delicious cooked in a sauce inspired by that lassi.
They turned out beautifully and were just as good warm as they are served cold today. They're really refreshing and cooling, nice for a hot summer meal. —em-i-lis
- 1 pound carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/2" rounds
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1½ tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions
- salt to season
- Preheat the oven to 350. Place the chopped carrots in an oven-proof pan with a lid. In a large measuring cup or medium mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, almond milk, orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Pour over the carrots, put the lid on the pan and place in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring/basting once or twice.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet set over medium-high heat, toast the almonds. When becoming fragrant, add the orange juice, scallion rings and some salt. Cook until the juice has evaporated and remove the skillet from heat.
- When the carrots are fork-tender, strain them (reserving sauce) and put into a serving bowl. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of your reserved sauce and top with the orangey almonds. Serve warm, room temp or even chilled. Serve with remaining sauce on the side should anyone want more.
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).