Author Notes: Take it to a potluck or BBQ...serves many and sure doesn't cost much! - inpatskitchen
Makes a huge bowl and serves many
For the tonnato sauce
- 2 x 4.5 cans tuna in olive oil
- 3/4 cups homemade mayo or a great quality comercial one
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons capers in brine
- 2 teaspoons of the caper brine
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- Place all of the ingredients (including the oil from the tuna) in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate.
For the salad
- 16 ounces dry pasta shells
- Juice of a whole lemon
- 1 large (about 4 cups) diced unpeeled English cucumber (small dice)
- 1 15 ounce can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3/4 cups finely diced red onion
- The tonnato sauce
- Cook the pasta per package directions. Quickly rinse in cool water and drain. Place the pasta in a large mixing bowl and stir in the lemon juice. Let the pasta cool to room temperature.
- Once the pasta has cooled add the cucumber, chick peas, red onion and parsley. Stir in the tonnato sauce and refrigerate a few hours before serving.
- NOTE: If after refrigerating the salad seems a little dry (sometimes that happens!) just stir in a little more mayo or extra virgin olive oil to your taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad