If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After fighting off cravings of pasta all day, I drew inspiration from on-hand (or on-fridge) ingredients to make dinner for 1. Not wanting to take the "raw" route, I came up with my own version of what I like to call, zucchini faux "pasta". This recipe is easily adapted to include any of your favorite pasta add-ins (including meat!), or eliminate any I have. It's a great light alternative to heavy pasta! - kedivine
- 1-2 Medium Zucchini
- Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 a White or Yellow Onion
- Small handfuls Basil
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups Your favorite Marinara Sauce
- About Half a container of Cremini Mushrooms
- Generous amount of freshly grated Parmesan
- 1-2 tablespoons EVOO
- Kosher Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- Slice and julienne the Zucchini into long spaghetti-like strands (I used a mandolin and strongly suggest doing the same!) Salt the strands with kosher salt and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Dice the ½ onion, chop the mushrooms, grate the Parmesan, tear the fresh mozzarella and chiffonade the basil.
- Sauté your onion in a medium sized skillet with EVOO. Once the onions start to soften, add your mushrooms to the pan. Sauté both together until done to your liking. Make sure to season both with salt and pepper while cooking!
- Using paper towels, squeeze and drain all of the liquid that the salt has drawn out of your zucchini.
- Add the zucchini strands to the pan and sauté for just a few minutes – I like mine al dente.
- Add your favorite [bottled or homemade] marinara sauce to the pan, and toss together until heated through.
- Top with Parmesan, freshly torn mozzarella, basil, red pepper flakes (I enjoy the kick) and voila, light zucchini “pasta”!
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.