If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’m the biggest fan of salads made every which way–whether tossed in fancy balsamic vinegars or compartmentalized like a food chart. Salads are, hands down, my favorite kind of meal and they makeup at least 10% of recipes on this website. But it wasn’t until recently that I started taking stock not of my fancy “weird” salads catalogued here, but ones more commonly ordered at restaurants. You know the kind–a traditional Cobb Salad, a “House” Salad, or a Caesar Salad. To this end, I searched far and wide until I came up with an easy Greek Salad that can be made any day of the week (and in a matter of minutes) with just a few basic ingredients I always seem to have lying around.
Simply toss together a healthy green base–romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, banana peppers, and red onions–with more quintessential “Greek” ingredients–kalamata olives, good quality olive oil, and feta cheese. The fresh and light olive oil vinaigrette listed below brings life to an otherwise traditional coupling of summertime ingredients and the feta cheese ensures that every other bite has a certain creamy texture to it.
Right before my friend Jon Barry left for Panama, I tested this version of a simple Greek Salad on his discerning male appetite.
The result? Love. Pure love. The salad was so popular, Rhett claimed, “I’ll go get the rest from the kitchen.” I hated to tell him, we had eaten the whole thing. —Helana Brigman
- 5 cups Romaine Lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 2 Banana Peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into circular rounds
- 1 1/2 cups Kalamata Olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon Oregano (or Basil), chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Wash produce–lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers, and prep for salad. Tear lettuce into bite size pieces, halve tomatoes, and slice peppers and onions. Add produce to salad bowl and toss with feta and kalamata olives.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano (or basil), Dijon, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add dressing to salad and toss to fully coat. Serve immediately and enjoy!
A Piece of Beauty
Meet Mosser Glass
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
The best vegan cookbook tips.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Put cake on a pedestal.