If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Originally created as "slime soup" for Halloween, I love this soup for a number of reasons. For one thing, it’s quick – you can make this in 30 minutes or less. It’s super-healthy and perfect for Meatless Monday or anytime you want to trick the kids or your significant other to eat some veggies. It’s equally delicious hot or cold. So, if it’s chilly where you are, it makes a nice warmer-upper. If it’s 87 billion degrees outside, like it is here in South Florida, serve it cold, and it’s refreshing and nourishing at the same time. So, you can even make this in the summertime for a healthy light supper as a turn on vichyssoise! Easily made up to a week ahead of time and doubled - or even tripled - to feed a crowd. —Renée (RJ Flamingo) Joslyn
Serves 4-8 (depending on whether served in cups or bowls)
- 4 cups (or 1 quart) vegetable broth
- 2 potatoes (about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs) russets or golds
- 1 16 oz pkg frozen broccoli (or 1 lb fresh, trimmed)
- 1 cup unflavored soy milk or regular milk (1% is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the vegetable broth into a 4 or 5 quart sauce pot.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into roughly half-inch pieces, and add to the pot. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the pot, cover, and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the milk to the pot, whip out your handy dandy hand blender, and puree until completely smooth. (You can carefully do this in a regular blender and then return the soup to the pot). Stir, and warm through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with pita chips, crackers, or a nice crusty bread.
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.