If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The healthiness of kale is slightly offset by the decadence of this delicious quiche, with heavy cream, cheese and pancetta (you're worth it) - Omeletta
Makes 1 2x9" round quiche, with dough leftover
Pastry Dough (Makes two pie crusts. Adapted from Alice Water's "The Art of Simple Food")
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons chilled butter, diced
- 1/2 cup ice-cold vodka
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if you are using salted butter)
- 4 large eggs, whisked thoroughly
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup 1% or 2% milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small yellow onion or large shallot, minced
- 2 cups diced raw kale
- 1 cup diced cooked pancetta (cooked till crisp)
- To make crust: Pass the flour through a sifter into a large mixing bowl. Add the diced butter and cut the butter into the flour, using a pastry cutter until the dough resembles coarse meal. Add the vodka a little bit at a time, (you may not need all of it), incorporating it into the dough until you can squish all the dough together in one big ball. Using a kife or a dough slicer, cut the dough into two even parts, wrap each in cling film and let sit in the fridge for at least one hour or overnight.
- When the dough has cooled, preheat the oven to 400*F and sprinkle your work surface lightly with flour. Roll out the dough, one ball at a time, and gently place in the bottom of a 9? pie tin (or glass, or enamel) and trim or scrunch the edges as desired. Bake for 15 minutes. If the sides of the pie crust have sunk during the baking time, gently press them back into place with the back of a spoon. Turn the oven down to 325*F. Let the crust cool slightly before adding the filling (about 5 or 10 minutes).
- To make filling: Whisk the eggs together with the heavy cream and the milk. Add the cheese, kale and bacon and combine. Pour the contents of the bowl into the pre-baked pie crust. Bake at 325*F for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling jiggles only slightly when removed.
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
This is poppin'.