If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The only thing I turn to when I or someone in the house has a cold- this soup is loaded down with all sorts of good stuff to get you back on your feet in no time. —Omeletta
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup (heaping) diced carrots
- 1 cup (heaping) diced celery
- 1 cup (heaping) diced yellow or white onion
- 1 14 oz bottle beer (IPA's work well here)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tomatillos, diced (you can sub vine-ripedned tomatoes here)
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- 2-3 jalapenos, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 avocado, diced
- olive oil, butter, schmaltz- whatever you have on hand to brown veggies with (approx 2 tablespoons of it)
- Start by heating 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter and browning the mirepoix (that’s the carrots, celery and onion, mixed together) in the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. While the veggies are browning, toss the chicken parts with the paprika (optional), cumin and salt. Add the chicken to the mirepoix and cook, turning on all sides, until the chicken has just started to darken. Add the beer and deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits off the bottom of the pan as you go. Add the peppers, garlic, ginger, corn and tomatillos and stir for a few minutes, until everything has softened. Remove the chicken and dice, then return it to the pot. Add the chicken stock and water and cook at a medium simmer for 20 minutes, or until the soup has reduced by about half an inch. Add the lime and the cilantro and cook a further 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Dice half an avocado for a topping on the soup. I use half an avocado per soup bowl, but you can use more or less.
- Feel better soon.
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.