Author Notes: An ode to my dear Grammy with a twist for my dear Husband. - darksideofthespoon
Makes 3 dozen cupcakes
Thelma's Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sugar, brown or white (454g)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (272g or 9oz)
- 2/3 cups high quality cocoa powder, like valrhona (90g)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (6g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (8g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (6g)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (100g)
- 1/2 cup room temperature melted butter (120g)
- 1 cup old coffee or water (240ml)
- 1 cup buttermilk, though plain milk will do (240ml)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (10g)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift your flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Add your sugar and salt - whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Measure out your buttermilk, coffee, melted butter, eggs and vanilla and add to dry ingredients. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until there are no lumps.
- Fill your cupcake liners 2/3 high with batter and bake for 10 - 12 minutes until they bounce back when touched OR when a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool, or if you're impatient like I am, put them in the freezer for a few minutes.
Peanut Butter Swiss Buttercream
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar (250g)
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature (should weigh out to 150g)
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla (7g)
- 3 sticks room temperature butter, cut in small cubes (340g)
- 3/4 cups (or more) peanut butter, to taste
- Add your egg white and sugar to a very clean bowl over a double boiler. Whisk them until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is quite hot.
- Using a stand mixer, Whip the hot sugar and whites into a fluffy meringue for as long as it takes until the meringue is room temperature, not hot.
- While still whisking, slowly add your room temperature butter one cube at a time until it's thoroughly incorporated. Add your vanilla. Follow with your peanut butter, tasting inbetween additions. You can really add as much or as little as you like.
- Pipe or use an offset to decorate your cupcakes. Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled or the icing will slide off - disastrous!