If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The combination of flavors in this fruit and veggie salad may seem a bit odd when you first read through the recipe, but it’s the perfect combo for a light, refreshing summer salad. The mix of fruits and vegetables provides lots of texture and flavor, and the mayo-honey-rum and orange zest dressing brings everything together. I have read and made many deferent salads where fennel is combined with citrus, such as grapefruit or orange and decided to try using it in a fruit salad to add a crunchy texture. Then for a little spice, color and even more texture, I also incorporated a small amount of baby bell peppers. Finely, to make a creamy and a little sweet dressing I used a combination of mayo, honey and rum, which keeps fruit and berries fresh. Here is my recipe which you can easily change to your own by using a deferent combination of fruit and vegetables and a dressing to your taste. - Kukla
Serves 4 to 6
- • 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut or 1/2 cup dry roasted pistachios
- • 1/2 cup best quality mayonnaise
- • 2 tablespoons honey
- • 1/4 cup dark or spiced rum,I used vanilla rum
- • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- • 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- • 1 of each baby red and orange bell pepper, halved and thinly sliced
- • Zest and sections ( well drained) of 1 large orange
- • 3 ripe but firm kiwi, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- • 6 oz very fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Spread the coconut or pistachios in a single layer on a baking pan. Toast coconut in oven until pale golden brown, watching carefully to avoid burning, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, honey, orange zest, rum, and mint. In another large bowl, combine the fruit and vegetables. Pour the mayo-honey mixture over the fruit and vegetables; toss to combine. Allow to sit for 10 minutes so the fruit and veggies can absorb the flavors. Sprinkle the toasted coconut or pistachios on top and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
Flourless Almond & Coconut Cake
Looked for salad, ended up with cake: Life in a nutshell.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?