If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This being my first foray into seafood salads, I wanted to create a mayonnaise base that would complement, but not overwhelm the lobster. I think I succeeded! - Cristina Sciarra
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg yolk, fresh as possible
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- about 1 cup canola oil, or other neutral oil
- a pinch of salt, to taste
- Add the minced garlic, the egg yolk, the mustard, and the black pepper to a small bowl. Give everything a little stir, to incorporate.
- Slowly incorporate the oil in a very thin stream, while constantly beating with a fork or mini whisk. (Add a little oil at a time, waiting until the oil has 'disappeared', before adding more.) The whole process should take about 5 minutes--the mayonnaise will have risen in the bowl and turned a paler yellow. You should also be able to tip the bowl over without the mayonnaise falling out.
- Let the mayonnaise rest in the fridge, covered, for at least one hour before use. (This can also be made a night ahead.)
- 5 scallions
- 1 pound fresh lobster meat (tail and claw)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup garlic mayonnaise
- Wash and thinly slice the scallions. Add them to a medium-sized bowl.
- About the lobster: my fishmonger happens to sell freshly-cooked, whole lobsters. You can also buy live lobsters, and cook them yourself.
- Chop your lobster into bite-sized pieces, and then add them to the medium bowl. Also add: the lemon juice, the cayenne, and the mayonnaise. Gently toss all ingredients together, to incorporate. Serve the salad slightly chilled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
Take Summer Food Inside
11 DIY projects to make when it's too hot to go outside.
Cool Eats for Hot Days
Anna Jones Loves Vegetables
Italian Breakfast Buns
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.