Author Notes: Unlike last year’s 4th of July, which I spent reveling in sausages and 40?s, this year I took a voyage to the fine state of Vhhirginia to visit my brother. It was lovely! We drank wine
at wineries and ate lots of cheese. Mmm cheese. How I love you. As much fun I had gorging myself on Cab Franc and Humboldt Fog, when I got back to Texas I decided to fix myself a healthier snack choice that I love nearly as much as cheese- hummus! But not just any ordinary hummus. Pesto hummus with roasted garlic and handmade pita chips. - What Jew Wanna Eat
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly roasted
- 4 cloves of garlic, roasted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of chickpeas, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup chickpea liquid or water
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- First roast the garlic. Put garlic cloves on a foil lined sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Fold the foil into a packet and roast at 325 degrees F until garlic is soft, or about 30 minutes. Cool.
- Now it’s hummus time! First blend up the basil, pine nuts, garlic and a drizzle of the olive oil in a food processor. Then add the chickpeas, chickpea liquid or water, tahini paste, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper and blend until smooth!