Author Notes: My first experience of potato salad was when my folk dance group had a party back then in 99' may be (don't remember exactly) and we had people visiting us from France and they had arranged a potluck for all of us. It was an exchange program, through which they were in India for some time. They had everything vegetarian stuff arranged , so nicely and although half of us didn't know what the dishes were , we were very excited to eat. They had even brought some kind of cheese, the baby belle types which initially I and my tinsy winsy friends thought was chocolate , as that was what we really wanted. But, then I got to try the potato salad, the only things I remember still today is that it had some red onions and creamy dreamy dressing. And, I thought it is so simple but yet delicious. And, my foodie mind started thinking about the ingredients. Although I didn't know exactly whether that was a potato salad or not. But, I was foodie then also and all my kitchen disasters years, so later on I found out it was a potato salad. Everything was wonderful in that potato salad. But, years later now I feel like adding some spice to the regular potato salad and enhance the dish with harissa. The coriander and heat n harissa makes it really delightful. I have cheated by using a store-bought harissa in olive oil. So, here is my version of potato salad with Harissa. - PistachioDoughnut
Serves 4 to 5
- 1 pound yukon Gold potatoes or red russets
- Oil to grill the potatoes
- salt to taste
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Store - bought or homemade Harissa
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin powder
- 1 medium sized onion , sliced
- 3 Scallions, chopped up green and white part both
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Cilantro or parsley to garnsih
- Prepare the grill , and cut the potatoes into wedges with skin on and dress them well with oil, salt and pepper. And, grill them till they are cooked from inside and still has that nice bite to them. If you are not planning to use your grill, then you can grill it in oven also at 425 F for about 20 minutes or till they are perfectly tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing - Take mayonnaise, vinegar, harissa and cumin powder and little bit salt and pepper and blend it in a food processor so that everything mixes well and is smooth. I have used store bought harissa in olive oil, but you can make it at home too.
- assemble the salad - Once the potatoes are grilled, toss them alongwith sliced onions and chopped scallions into the Harissa spiced mayonnaise while they are still warm and then give it a taste and if there is something lacking , then season it. Garnish it with some chopped cilantro leaves or parsley.
- Serve it little bit warm with some lentil chips or as it is.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad