If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I can't remember how many times I have had left over meat from a BBQ. So one way of using it up is adding Tonnato sauce to the shredded meat and I have a delicious salad with a completely different flavour.
What I do, which I find very useful, is shredding the meat (pork, veal, lamb, chicken) the same day and keeping it in a container for later use. Then I mix the meat with a classic Tonnato sauce made from mayonnaise, tuna, capers and anchovies to which I add raw vegetables for some texture - carrot, fennel and celery.
This dish can also be served as a sandwhich! - Maria Teresa Jorge
Tonnato - Mayonnaise Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 8 ounces canned tuna fish - drained
- 3 anchovies
- 4 pickled cucumbers cut in pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded left-over BBQ or roast meat
- 1/4 fennel
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 medium carrot
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 lemon
- If your capers are in salt, rinse them very well and put them 10 minutes in cold water.
- Clean anchovies from any bones.
- Cut off the rough ends and the dark green of the celery and chop it thinly.
- Cut the carrot in strips with peeler.
- Using a mandolin to cut the fennel very thinly. I used a 1/4 but you can obviously put more or less.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- In a food processor add the mayonnaise, the drained tuna, the anchovies, the pickled cucumbers, the parsley and the capers. Process until smooth. Add lemon juice to taste and pepper and process again. Use a little white wine to thin the sauce as needed - it should have the consistency of thin mayonnaise. Check for seasoning and at this point you can add the salt - capers and anchovies have quite a lot of salt.
- In a bowl add half the sauce. Add the vegetables (except the carrot and the tomatoes) and the shredded meat and mix. Taste for seasoning. Garnish with the strips of carrot, the cherry tomatoes, parsley and wedges of lemon.
- Serve cold with the remaining sauce on the side.
- You can use this recipe as a filling for pitta bread or on a surdough bread slice for a brilliant open sandwich.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
Recipe of the Day
Garden Mule Cocktail
Garden Mule Cocktail
Fresh beer, anywhere.
What to Do With Marjoram
How to keep produce longer.
Go play outside!