Author Notes: Good addition to sandwiches,veggies side dishes and meat dishes. Quick and easy, but need to sit for 2 hours at least. - Cordelia
Makes a cup
- 2 small onions
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Sumac (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/14 cup apple cider (or water, but then add another tablespoon of sugar)
- Put all the ingredients except for the onion in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. cook for few minutes on medium heat to reduce the liquids a bit.
- in the meantime cut the onions in half, peel them and then cut to thin half moon slices.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the onions. let it rest for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the liquids before serving.