Author Notes: A quick and zesty pickle that is great for using up whatever leftover vegetable you may have. - AshleyRodriguez
Makes 1 quart
- 2 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds attached
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flake
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cut the zucchini into spears that fit the height of the jars you are using. Place the spears in a bowl with ice water and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of the salt. Submerge the zucchini in the water weighing them down with a plate. Let sit for 30 minutes - 1 hour. This will keep the spears crisp when pickled. Cut the carrots in the same manner as the zucchini. Slice the fennel in ¼” pieces reserving the fennel fronds. Set vegetables aside. In a saucepan combine the remaining ingredients including the 2 Tablespoons salt. Bring to a simmer then turn off heat. Place the cut vegetables in clean jars. Add a couple pieces of fennel frond to the jar(s). Carefully pour the hot brine over the vegetables until submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least one day. Well sealed refrigerator pickles will keep for 1 month.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!