If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a rustic and olde-worlde name for a tasty and fast classic English pub food: Yorkshire pudding and sausage, cuddled happily together in one baking pan. A perfect quick dinner, using some zesty Italian sausage or bratwurst. Trade those in for some maple breakfast sausage and our Toad could make a spectacular breakfast or brunch. If you're lucky enough to get your hands on proper British bangers, go for it! It comes together in a snap, and requires very little effort or time. It's easily doubled and can feed a crowd. Really, all it needs is a heavy baking pan and some good sausage. Embrace British food, and serve up some toad-in-the-hole! Inspired by Gordon Ramsay's Great British Pub Food. - jammychicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound thick sausage
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Find a heavy baking dish (ceramic, metal) that the sausages fit into with some clearance on all sides of every sausage. The more space the more crispy Yorkshire pudding you'll get. However, you don't want the sausages to be lost in a giant pan. Aim for cozy over crowded or empty.
- Pour the oil in a baking dish and tilt to coat the bottom. Add the sausage and toss well to coat. Bake in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Now, prepare the batter. Put the remaining ingredients in a blender, food processor or miniprep processor, and blend until smooth. Stop to scrape down the sides after a minute to make sure all the flour is incorporated.
- Take the pan with the sausage out of the oven and pour the batter over and around the sausage. Return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes, until the batter is puffed and golden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
A Memorial Day Menu minus the Fuss
Your holiday just got a whole lot easier.
Memorial Day made easy.
We need your help!
All you need for Memorial Day.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Mortar and pestle perfection.