If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There’s nothing much better than a good grilled cheese sandwich (or toastie as they’re called across the pond) and a cold pint. The variations are endless, but here’s a favorite of mine that’s cheesy, salty, sweet and tangy and quintessentially British. —EmilyC
- 2 slices good quality ham, such as Black Forest
- 3 oz sharp English cheddar, sliced
- 1 to 2 T orange marmalade
- thinly sliced dill pickles or cornichons
- 2 T softened butter
- 4 slices of sandwich bread (I like hearty whole-grain or sourdough)
- Heat cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Spread bread slices with a very thin layer of butter and marmalade. Top two of the slices with ham, cheddar, and sliced pickles. Place the remaining bread on top and spread the outside with butter. Place in skillet buttered-side down and butter the other side. Cook on one side until cheese is partially melted and bread is browned, then flip and continue cooking until cheese is thoroughly melted and sandwich is golden and toasty.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
Orange You Glad?
A better, more carrot-y carrot cake
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Meet beaver tails.
Get your shine on.