Author Notes: I got the foundation of this marinade many years ago from the wife of an old friend of my husband's. Over the years I have changed it and no longer have the original (I think it called for bottled teriyaki sauce). The couple has since divorced, but my husband still has his friend and I still have a great recipe. Some things change a lot, some a little, and all I hope for the better. - Sadassa_Ulna
Makes about 1-1/2 cups
- 1 heaping Tablespoon minced garlic - or more
- 1 1 x 1 x 2" piece of fresh ginger, grated - or more
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 splash (or more) hot sauce or sriracha or other heat
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup or so for basting.
- Marinate chicken for several hours. Cook on a grill or under a broiler, use reserved liquid for basting.
- My husband came home with a pound chicken breast tenders (long slivers of breast meat). Not sure what to do , I marinated them in this mixture, put in a shallow baking pan in a puddle of the marinade and broiled in the oven - maybe 7 minutes on each side. The marinade caramelizes into deliciousness this way.
- Another day, my husband bought deveined shrimp with tails on, about 1.25 pounds. I marinated them in this and he grilled them; they were a big hit!