If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We were invited to a party to watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics and were asked to bring a dish to share. The first thing I thought of were pasties, but I was not in the mood for anything beef stewy. So I considered a masala type filling and settled on lamb. While I think these would be great with small chunks of meat I opted to use ground lamb like sausage, seasoning it overnight, grilling it, then simmering it in the sauce. The crust is just a simple pastry crust and I made a lemony raita for dipping. - savorthis
Serves 8 medium pasties
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 14 ounces can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups red potatoes, small dice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (to taste depending on sweetness of tomatoes)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup shortening, very cold
- 8 ounces butter, very cold
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cucumber, grated with short strokes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- s&p to taste
- Mix lamb, 1 t. garam masala, 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. each cumin, coriander, pepper and garlic. Refrigerate overnight. Form into sausages on skewers (or free form) and grill until slightly charred. Let cool.
- Saute onion in some oil over medium heat until the edges begin to brown. Add garlic, ginger, 2 t. garam masala and a 1/2 t. salt. Stir until fragrant. Add tomatoes and potatoes and cook until thickened and potatoes are tender. Mix in coconut milk, crumbled sausage and peas and stir until thick. Fold in cilantro, chili garlic and add bit of sugar if you like. Allow to cool.
- I used just the pastry recipe from Joy of Cooking. Put the flour and salt in a food processor, add cubed, cold butter and shortening and pulse until it is gravelly. Add the ice water until it begins to come together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple hours.
- Toss cucumbers with salt and allow to drain about 1/2 hour. Mix with remaining ingredients. You can add hot sauce if you wish.
- Preheat oven to 375. Roll out the dough to 1/8" thickness, cut 6" circles, place a mound of filling in the center, brush the edges with egg and crimp to form a half circle. Brush all tops with more egg and bake about 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
Flourless Almond & Coconut Cake
Looked for salad, ended up with cake: Life in a nutshell.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.