Author Notes: Bunny was my mother-in-law, and she had a flair for simple and delicious foods for entertaining. When ladies came to 'lunch,' she often served her Broiled Egg Sandwiches, since everyone loved them and they could be made in no time.
Of course, both men and women would love to have a small plate of these with a drink, or served alongside a soup. They can be bare bones basic, as Bunny made them, or tweaked in many ways.
In deference to the times, I cut the cream cheese in half, but still use cream cheese. It makes a rich and creamy treat. - susan g
Serves 4 - 6
- 6 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 slices good bread
- Hard boil the eggs, and shell them as soon as you can safely handle them. Mash them together with the cream cheese. A potato masher works well.
- Heat the broiler in your oven. Spread the egg mix on the bread. (Crusts are optional, but I like the crunch when you leave them on.) Sprinkle with a little salt and paprika.
- Put the slices on a baking sheet under the broiler until browned on top. Quickly remove from the oven, cut each slice into four triangles, and serve warm.
- OPTIONS: Put 6 cloves of unpeeled garlic in the water with the eggs while they cook. Peel and add the garlic when you mash the egg and cream cheese. 1/2 tsp Green Tabasco enhances the flavor, a hotter sauce or more perks it up! For the paprika, use smoked or hot. Just before serving, add dukkah, za'atar... just enough to enhance, not overwhelm. Bunny used white bread. I enjoy using bread with more body and nuts/seeds, etc.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food