Author Notes: A traditional South Indian dish with a twist of fruit- vegan, light and healthy. - Cinnamin
For The Salad
- 1/4 cup moong dal (green gram or mung) soaked for an hour and drained
- 1/4 cup masoor dal (red lentils) soaked for an hour and drained
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup raw papaya or cucumber, cubed
- 1/4 cup mango, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime or small lemon
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- Put all the ingredients (except for the tempering agents!) together in a large bowl and combine well so that everything is evenly mixed.
- Next, put the tadka (tempering) together. Heat the oil in a tadka dish or very small wok. When it gets hot, add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop, then add the chilli flakes. The chilli flakes may char a little, this is ok, it will add a smoky flavor. Add the asafoetida powder, and pull off heat immediately. Pour the seasoning over the salad and toss well.
- If you are unable to source asafoetida powder, the same amount of garlic powder will do.