If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A traditional South Indian dish with a twist of fruit- vegan, light and healthy. —Cinnamin
For The Salad
- 1/4 cup moong dal (green gram or mung) soaked for an hour and drained
- 1/4 cup masoor dal (red lentils) soaked for an hour and drained
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup raw papaya or cucumber, cubed
- 1/4 cup mango, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime or small lemon
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- Put all the ingredients (except for the tempering agents!) together in a large bowl and combine well so that everything is evenly mixed.
- Next, put the tadka (tempering) together. Heat the oil in a tadka dish or very small wok. When it gets hot, add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop, then add the chilli flakes. The chilli flakes may char a little, this is ok, it will add a smoky flavor. Add the asafoetida powder, and pull off heat immediately. Pour the seasoning over the salad and toss well.
- If you are unable to source asafoetida powder, the same amount of garlic powder will do.
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.