If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Oh my gosh, y'all. I just love this recipe. Summertime produce is awesome, but sometimes you just want a new take on it all- squash especially in my opinion- and this is a slightly Mexican take on it all. This pasta came about after a wild, brainstorm session while rummaging through my fridge and pantry. As it turns out, whey and corn love each other, and a little jalapeño in your pasta is fun! —em-i-lis
- 250 grams sepia spaghetti (or regular or whole wheat spaghetti)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 small spring onion bulbs, cut into thin slivers (or use 1/4 c of slivered red onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pattypan squash, cut into small batons
- 1 ear of corn, kernels cut off, cob discarded
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, cut in chiffonade
- 1/3 - 1/2 cups whey (or milk + some pasta cooking water)
- 1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- pecorino for grating over
- Set a 4-quart pot of well-salted water to boil. When boiling, add your spaghetti, and cook until al dente. Don’t discard cooking water.
- In the meantime, in a 10? skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat. When melted, add the onion and salt, stir to combine, cook for a minute, and lower the heat to medium. When the onion is soft and translucent, add the squash and corn. Cook a few minutes and add the jalapeño and basil.
- Stir in 1/3 c whey, and lower heat to medium-low. Keep stirring, letting some of the whey evaporate. Add in the cooked pasta and a bit more whey. Toss gently to combine and add the queso fresco.
- Turn out into a serving bowl, splashing with more whey or cooking water if it seems dry. Add more basil if you’d like, and grate some pecorino over the top.
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.