Author Notes: Foodstuffs Deli, 1981 -- we created our best selling sandwich, the Fried Tofu Sandwich. I had been playing around with a simple breading for the tofu, then added the iconic sandwich ingredients of the day. It was a hit! Now when my adult kids and their kids come to visit, this is what they ask me to make.
The breading mix is gluten free, and the sandwich also is, made with GF bread.
The breading is a good one for vegans, because it does not use milk or eggs. - susan g
Makes enough breading for many sandwiches; directions for one sandwich
Cornmeal Breading Mix for tofu (and more):
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, whole grain organic
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes (Red Star)
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika or chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- Mix all the ingredients together -- a wire whisk helps mix them evenly. I like to store it in a pint container, in the freezer.
Fried Tofu Sandwich:
- 2 slices of good whole grain sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon natural ketchup
- 1/2 ripe tomato, sliced
- lettuce leaves
- alfalfa sprouts
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil, like canola (OG) or grapeseed
- 1/4 cup creamy cole slaw (optional)
- 2 - 3 slices firm OG tofu
- Prepare the fried tofu: Turn the slices of tofu in the breading mix you prepared from the ingredients above. Heat a heavy skillet to medium hot, add enough oil to cover the surface of the pan, and brown the tofu slices on both sides.
- Prepare Russian Dressing: mix the mayonnaise and ketchup until smooth. Jazz it up if you wish.
- Toast the bread. Spread one slice with Russian Dressing, then layer lettuce, sprouts, tomato slices and tofu slices on it -- amounts to taste and to fit your bread. Add cole slaw for an especially messy and delicious sandwich. Top with the the second piece of bread, cut in half at an oblique angle, and take a bite.
- This is my favorite way to make it, but components can be changed to include (or exclude) whatever you do (or don't) like. Once you've made one, just keep them coming. Be sure to include the Fried Tofu!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy