If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: From this basic recipe you can make any other recipe.And your rice will never, ever be insipid again! I know, I know, there are hundreds of parboiled rices, rices that come in bags you just put in water. But this riceis fried with onions and olive oil, it's so much tastier and so easy to cook. I use long rice, not basmati or any other kind, just because the long rice doesn't have a strong taste that colides with other foods.But the cooking process is the same for any other rice, even whole grain rice. Once you try it it's hard to go back to the parboiled one! It's so easy even my 7 year old granddaughter makes it by heart, I only have to chop up the veggies and she does the rest. One golden rule though - do not uncover or stir the rice while it's cooking. —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 2 cups long white rice
- 4 cups filtered water or vegetable stock
- 1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 blond onion cut across
- 4 cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves crushed with the back of the knife, green inner part removed.
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- Put the rice in a colander inside a bowl and wash under running cold water until the water comes out clear with no starch. Remove from the water and let the rice drain completely.
- Bring the water or vegetable stock to a simmer and maintain warm.
- Peel the onion and cut it across. Insert the cloves and peppercorns in the onion so it is easier to remove when the rice is cooked.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves with a meat pounder or the back of a large knife. Remove the inner green part. Wash the pasrley, trim the stems and pat dry.
- In a pan with a tight fitting lid, over medium heat, add the olive oil, let warm up and add the rice. Stir well to cover all the rice in olive oil and let fry until it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the warm water or vegetable stock, the garlic, the onion with the cloves and peppercorns, the parsley and stir well. Season with salt to your tasting.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to the mimimum, cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook for 17 minutes. Do not open the lid or stir the rice during this time.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for an extra 8 minutes. Remove the lid, discard the onion with the peppercorns and cloves, the parsley and the garlic, and fluff up the rice so it has no lumps.
- Serve immediately either in a serving dish garnished with curley parsley.or on the plate molding it with small individual molds (fill the mold with rice, press on the rice so there are no air pockets and invert on the plate).
- It is a great accompaniament to meat, poultry and fish dishes, stews, for cold rice salads and to add with leftovers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.