If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love Eggs Benedict on a lazy Sunday morning. Although I love hollandaise sauce, and who doesn't, I wanted to try to make on that would be healthier. I also substituted artichoke bottoms for the bread to make it a lighter fare. - TheWimpyVegetarian
Eggs Benedict components
- 2 whole artichokes
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed with the skins still on
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 peppercorns
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 large slices of tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 thick slices of yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large or extra large eggs
- Pesto Sauce (explained below)
- Make the pesto recipe below. Put together a pot of aciduated water by filling a large pot with 3 inches of water and adding the wine, garlic, thyme, salt, peppercorns, and lemon. Bring to a boil while you prep the artichokes.
- To prep the artichokes, snap off all the leaves and discard. Spoon out the choke with a grapefruit spoon, or cut out with a paring knife. With a paring knife, cut off the dark green areas on the sides of the artichokes where the outermost leaves were, and smooth the side and bottom surfaces of the artichoke. Put in the boiling aciduated water. Boil until soft enough to accept a paring knife.
- Salt and pepper the tomatoes and roast in a toaster oven. If you do this on a grill or in a saute pan, make sure you have enough oil to prevent the tomato from sticking and falling apart.
- Cut each bacon slice into 4 pieces, fry and drain.
- Saute the thick slices of onion in olive oil until slightly soft and browned. Only flip them once to keep the rings together.
- Poach eggs in a wide pan in barely simmering water. I poach mine for about 3 minutes for a medium yolk.
- Assemble the dish with the artichoke bottoms on the bottom and layering the tomatoes, onion, and bacon pieces. The poached egg gets carefully placed on top with the pesto sauce drizzled over it.
- 1 cup watercress or basil leaves, stemmed, rinsed and dried
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or walnuts (optional)
- Whirl the watercress or basil leaves and garlic in a food processor. With the motor still running, slowly add the olive oil and process until the mixture becomes a smooth sauce
- Add the cheese and salt. Process until smooth. Add the nuts if you're using them. Makes about 1 cup of pesto.
- To store, transfer to a glass jar and top with a layer of olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. This also freezes well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.