If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Take the classic Caprese salad, use baked tofu for the mozzarella, and everything else just falls into place. Enjoy summer's best tomatoes and fresh picked basil (growing in my deck garden!) in a new way. You can serve this as the centerpiece of a light meal, or as the first course of a complementary dinner. Either way, it makes a statement! - susan g
Serves 2 - 3
- 4 ounces prepared baked tofu
- 1 medium or large ripe tomato
- a small handful of basil leaves -- I used 10 leaves
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinkiang (black) vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- Make the dressing: Mix oils, vinegar and chili-garlic sauce in a shallow bowl.
- Prepare vegetables and tofu: Cut 6 slices of tomato, then cut each slice in half to make 12 pieces. Slice the basil leaves in 1/2 inch ribbons. Cut the baked tofu into 10 slices.
- Assemble: Have a wide bowl or rectangular serving dish ready. Dip the tomato and tofu slices in the dressing and alternate them in the serving dish, starting with a tomato slice. Scatter the basil on top. Pour any remaining dressing around the plate.
- NOTES: The baked tofu I used is Soy-Boy Tofu Lin. Use what's available to you or bake your own. If you can't find Chinese black vinegar (made from glutinous rice), substitute balsamic vinegar. My choice for chili-garlic sauce is Huy Fong brand ("Rooster"), or use your favorite, adjusting the amount as necessary.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.