If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Firm tofu is sauted and then combined in a sweet, yet spicy peppery sauce. This is another favorite dish of mine that I adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi's book Plenty. The dish is perfect for a Meatless Monday after Seafood Sunday. —CeCeH
- 1.5 pounds firm tofu
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 Thai chilies, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/3 cup minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons kecap manis
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- 6 tablespoons peppercorns, corsely chopped
- 2 cups scallions, cut into 3/4" pieces
- Heat oil in pan. Cut the tofu into large cubes, about 1 x 1 inch. Toss them in arrowroot. Add to the heated oil. "Fry" tofu until they have a thin crust. After tofu cubes are cooked, remove them and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Remove oil and sediment from pan. Add butter and melt. Add shallots, chilies, garlic and ginger. Sauté on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until ingredients are soft. Add kecap manis and soy sauce, palm sugar and stir. Add crushed black pepper. Add tofu and stir. Then, add the chopped scallions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.