Author Notes: A vegan, gluten free option for potato salad with a garden zucchini, this one uses creamy tofu in place of mayo or sour cream. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 4 side servings
For the dressing
- 10 to 12 ounces extra soft silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- In a mini food processor or blender process all of the ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate while preparing the salad.
For the salad
- 1 medium zucchini cut in 3/4 inch to 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4 inch to 1 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons finely minced red onion
- The dressing
- Salt and pepper for seasoning if desired
- Toss the zucchini cubes with the teaspoon of salt and place in a colander for about 45 minutes in order to drain some of the liquid from the zucchini and tenderize it a bit. After the 45 minutes, rinse well under cold water and place on paper toweling to dry.
- Place the potato cubes in a medium pot in cold water, bring up to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and let cool to lukewarm.
- Combine the zucchini, potatoes and red onion in a mixing bowl and start blending in the dressing. I normally reserve a few tablespoons of the dressing just in case the salad soaks too much of it up while chilling.
- Chill the salad for at least two hours and when ready to serve, taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Add a little of the reserved dressing if necessary for a creamy consistency.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy