Author Notes: If you need a quick side for a cookout, or just a dinner alone (perfect time to stuff your face full of these), these take just under 15 minutes from start-to-finish. - VeganSquid
Makes ~30 xl fries
- 2 cups tempura flour
- 1/2 cup water. plus extra
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- Start out by heating about 2cm of oil in a pan (or pot) to a good medium-high (7 on my range). It's greatly simplified if you have a deep-fryer-- 350'F.
- Take your eggplant and cut out some fries! Their shape and size are up to you. I find that I can get anywhere from 70-100 large fries pretty easily from one eggplant
- Mix together dry ingredients into large mixing bowl
- Add water, stir until about the consistency of pancake batter, adding water as necessary.
- Plop your cut up eggplant into the batter and coat well, and then fry until a sexy golden-brown (about one minute each batch), flipping as necessary.
- Remove them and dab off the excess oil, and add some sea salt if you want. That’s it!