If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have made this salad for many potlucks including a Christmas Eve gathering; it is my adaptation of one from Isa in San Francisco, published in Bon Appetit in 2004. I like to let the apple, fennel and cherries marinate in the vinaigrette before arranging over the greens.
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 large (or most of a small head Green Leaf Lettuce
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/2 large (or one small) fennel bulb
- 1-1/2 apples, any eating variety
- 2 clementines, optional
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 Vidalia or other sweet onion
- In a medium bowl whisk all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Slice fennel very thin, and cut apple into matchsticks and add to vinaigrette; add cherries also. This can sit for a half hour or so.
- Wash and spin (or blot) dry green leaf lettuce; tear into bite-size pieces. Wash and dry the arugula and tear (or trim) off stems. Arrange in a large salad bowl [or individual bowls if desired].
- Cut onion into thin slices and "sprinkle" over greens to de-chunk. If using clementines, peel and cut into halves (remove any seeds if you find any); arrange over onions.
- Use a slotted spoon to arrange apple mixture over the greens; whisk remaining liquid if it starts to separate. If salad is to be made ahead of time, store remaining liquid in a lidded container and shake well before pouring over greens.
Take Summer Food Inside
11 DIY projects to make when it's too hot to go outside.
Cool Eats for Hot Days
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Anna Jones Loves Vegetables
The Daily Grind
Italian Breakfast Buns